"We Hope For What We Do Not Have, We Wait For It Patiently!" ~ Romans 8:25

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The worst moment of my life taught me true love.

      “Restavec” is a Haitian word for child slave.  There are many child slaves in Haiti.  There is a known child slave that lives near the guest house that we are staying at this week. I have not seen her but Todd has and he said she is beautiful.  Her name is Jessica. 
     Last night as we returned home after our Embassy trip and our visit with Oberson, we were just getting out of the car when we heard a noise.  We all stopped and the hair stood up on my neck.  It was nothing like I had ever heard. No movie could capture, no book could describe….the sound of a little girl screaming and the sound of a whip ripping her flesh. Her voice cutting through the air begging them to stop and feet on pavement trying to get away.  I instantly started crying and Todd was looking for a way to jump the wall.  Being outsiders there’s nothing we could do and the man that runs the guest house wasn’t home.  We stopped and prayed a hedge of protection and what we could do for this little girl.  We would be willing to pay for her freedom yet know they would just buy another child and the cycle would continue. 
     After praying (and crying) I have come to realize that as much as this moment has brought me heartache and sounds in my head that I cannot erase…..it has also taught me about true love.  Some people question how Oberson’s birth mother could have given him up for adoption.  How could a mother do such a thing?  We don’t know her situation but life in Haiti isn’t like life in the US.  In a country with over 70% unemployment and those that do work make less than $1 a day it is so hard just to live.  One container of water is almost $1 and that isn’t anything else.  You might work a week (if you have a job) just to get rice.  It is crazy expense.  So to have a child and not be able to feed it would be the worst kind of pain I could imagine.  Her options as a mother would be so hard.  How much did she love him?  She loved him enough to give him a future.  She could have sold him….he is a boy.  He would have made good money for her to be honest.  She could have raised him and sold him to be a slave.  She could have had him work to provide for her.  She could have done a lot of things.  Yet, she loved him enough to give him a better life.  She wanted more for him.  That is a mother.  That is loving someone more than yourself.  That is true love. 

     My worst moment with my worst sound that echoes in my mind reminds me of true love in other people.  Yes, there are always evil people in this world.  There are also still wonderful people in this world that love their babies and wonderful people who care for them (like our orphanage).  God loves us all and is always there to redeem and carry us through.  This was never His plan but He came to love us and adopt us so that we can experience His perfect love also!